FANDOM


  • Caveat: This is all fun and humorous, not a suggestion and should not be taken terribly seriously.

    Even though I mostly play Minecraft in 1.7.10 with the mod, I am still a fan of the game as such and the recent Update Aquatic has sparked my interest in the vanilla game again (actual swimming is amazing). Naturally, I had a look at the outcome of Minecon Earth and the result of Mojang's latest attempt to involve the community via a poll: which biome should be updated next. For all of you that missed it, I will summarize: three biomes with a couple new features were available. >Desert: Palm trees and meerkats >Taiga: Foxes, berry bushes and campfires >Savannah: Baobabs, termites and ostriches

    What really struck me, was that of these eight additions, four are already available in our beloved mod!

    A few questions follow this statement. Is someone at Mojang a fan of the mod and secretly copying features? Is it pure coincidence? Do the three biomes signify the corners of a triangle? And when will Mevans add campfires and can he beat Mojang to it?


    I know that campfires were already suggested and that he has cast his mind on the possibility of adding them. So all I want to know from you is, what are your answers to the questions above and do you look forward to vanilla updates?

      Loading editor
    • Absolutely looking forward to vanilla updates, and i don't think Mevans should try and compete with Mojang, that is ultimately self defeating, Mevans is one guy, Mojang is a studio. Better idea IMO is to keep adding the LOTR speciffic stuff until the mod is pretty much done, Mevans did say that if he sees enough valueable features in vanilla MC he will update the mod so there is no issue with LOTR mod being outpaced my Mojang, worst case scenario you just update. Once the mod is done Mevans can decide what he wants to do next, will he keep it in 1.7.10 and just gradually add stuff he likes form vanilla or update to the latest version that comes out by then.

        Loading editor
    • So many of the new features coming in 1.14 and 1.15 are from the Lord of the Rings mod. They’re even redesigning the villages - the new desert villages with the buttons on the walls remind me of the amazing new building details in Beta 34, except done pretty badly. And the pillagers sound a whole lot like invasions. Not to mention the crossbows...

      Potatoplant LazuliShield2 Sir Lazuli, Guardian of the Mountains Come visit! ShovelAndSword Potatoplant

        Loading editor
    • Crossbows existed before they were added to LOTR, Balkon's weapons had them, along with spears, war hammers and the rest, villages were due for an overhaul for awhile now, every single decent mod redesigns them to some extent, i can name at least 3 off the top of my head. As for pillagers, well they had illagers, and bandits are hardly unique to LOTR mod, also pillagers exclusively attack villages while invasions can happen anywhere and mostly target the player above all. I think you are just seeing what you want to see.

        Loading editor
    • Samoja1 wrote: Mevans is one guy, Mojang is a studio.

      Yet the mod updates every couple of months and adds a ton of new stuff while Minecraft updates every year or so and adds a couple of new blocks and maybe one new mob.

        Loading editor
    • 2607:FEA8:1360:667:2522:8F93:8685:780B wrote:

      Samoja1 wrote: Mevans is one guy, Mojang is a studio.

      Yet the mod updates every couple of months and adds a ton of new stuff while Minecraft updates every year or so and adds a couple of new blocks and maybe one new mob.

      Look, it's not a bloody competition, Mevans has his own priorities and Mojang has their own, aside from that M ojang is constantly rewriting the code to make it more efficient, changes they make affect the whole community while changes Mevans makes only affects this mod, so they have to be a lot more careful not to break anything.

        Loading editor
    • I used to hate vanilla until 1.13, which got me back into it as well

        Loading editor
    • I don't know why everybody hates vanilla. Everyone's like "Oh LoOk!1! mOjAng's AdDinG CrOssbOws!1! LoTR alReAdY hAs thEm!11! UnOrIginAl11!" Shut up! It's not a competition. One is a small mod with a couple thousand players, and the other is a giant game with millions of players. No one is copying from anybody. And Mojang has to update more slowly because they need it to be perfect. And I think the new villages look quite nice. 

        Loading editor
    • Sir Lazuli wrote:
      So many of the new features coming in 1.14 and 1.15 are from the Lord of the Rings mod. They’re even redesigning the villages - the new desert villages with the buttons on the walls remind me of the amazing new building details in Beta 34, except done pretty badly. And the pillagers sound a whole lot like invasions. Not to mention the crossbows...

      Potatoplant LazuliShield2 Sir Lazuli, Guardian of the Mountains Come visit! ShovelAndSword Potatoplant

      None of those features are from LotR! I'm pretty sure crossbows, buttons on buildings, and redesigning shit isn't from any particular mod. U just see shit how you want to see them.

        Loading editor
    • Did you read the "should not be taken terribly seriously" part at the start?

        Loading editor
    • I was replying to that one guy who said everything in 1.15 was from LotR mod. Not original post, which I like.

        Loading editor
    • Gayboi420 wrote: I was replying to that one guy who said everything in 1.15 was from LotR mod. Not original post, which I like.

      Me? That’s not what I said. It’s just amusing to draw parallels. Yeah, some of the features like crossbows could be independently inspired as a logical addition, but it does seem surprising that every one of the planned biome updates is from one third to two thirds features from the Lord of the Rings Mod.

      And I’m just disappointed with the difference in quality between the Minecraft villages and villagers (even with their upcoming new skins and designs) and the mod NPCs and structures. The new designs in Update 34 for the Taurethrim and Near Harad villages are absolutely fantastic. The mod team has put in amazing effort into developing colorful cultures that are based on the regional influences and real world inspirations but still unique, whereas the vanilla designs (at least the little I’ve seen so far, maybe I’m wrong) are just lacking that kind of creativity.

      Potatoplant LazuliShield2 Sir Lazuli, Guardian of the Mountains Come visit! ShovelAndSword Potatoplant

        Loading editor
    • @Sir Lazuli:

      That IS interesting, and it's not the first time that vanilla has copied features of the LotR Mod. I wonder how long it'll be until they add barrel brewing? As we all know, a good drink is the reason why players keep on coming back to this mod year after year.

      22:53, October 5, 2018 (UTC)
        Loading editor
    • I think it's kind of obvious the mod is going to be more fun than vanilla. It's literally the same game but the mod adds more stuff to an already great game. It's as obvious as saying it's more fun to hang out with two friends instead of one. @Glflegolas what are you talking about?!! Vanilla never copied from the mod! If they were stupid enough to take features from a little-known mod and implement them into their game they would do it every single year. They have had some instances where they drew inspiration from other mods, but it's infuriating when people say by adding something as simple as a crossbow or better village designs they must be copying Mevans. Also most of what Mevans has implemented is completely unoriginal. He only imagined about two of the factions he's implemented, and all other factions/items weren't his idea. I'm not saying he's bad or not creative. But people act like he is always infinetly better than vanilla. Vanilla adds unique stuff like Elytra, End-related stuff, Ghasts, Nether, etc. and everybody's always like DUUUH vanila meincraff nod gud. Playing with a mod will always be more fun, but that doesn't make everything in that mod Mevans' property. I bet if Mevans had to make his own sandbox game, with his own original ideas, it would pale in comparison to vanilla Minecraft. 

        Loading editor
    • I don’t know what you’re talking about. A sandbox game made by Mevans would be much better than Minecraft. It would just be different.

      High Elven EquipmentXerped The Antisocial(Don't click this)UmbaricEquipment

        Loading editor
    • Gayboi420 wrote:
      I think it's kind of obvious the mod is going to be more fun than vanilla. It's literally the same game but the mod adds more stuff to an already great game. It's as obvious as saying it's more fun to hang out with two friends instead of one. @Glflegolas what are you talking about?!! Vanilla never copied from the mod! If they were stupid enough to take features from a little-known mod and implement them into their game they would do it every single year. They have had some instances where they drew inspiration from other mods, but it's infuriating when people say by adding something as simple as a crossbow or better village designs they must be copying Mevans. Also most of what Mevans has implemented is completely unoriginal. He only imagined about two of the factions he's implemented, and all other factions/items weren't his idea. I'm not saying he's bad or not creative. But people act like he is always infinetly better than vanilla. Vanilla adds unique stuff like Elytra, End-related stuff, Ghasts, Nether, etc. and everybody's always like DUUUH vanila meincraff nod gud. Playing with a mod will always be more fun, but that doesn't make everything in that mod Mevans' property. I bet if Mevans had to make his own sandbox game, with his own original ideas, it would pale in comparison to vanilla Minecraft. 

      It is exactly to prevent this kind of comment that I wrote the Caveat. This was supposed to lead to humorous banter, not angry debating who/what is better. I suppose it was naive of me to think people would actually read and take it to heart. On the other hand, Sir Lazuli and Glflegolas did just that, so it is not impossible...

        Loading editor
    • Gayboi420 wrote:
      I was replying to that one guy who said everything in 1.15 was from LotR mod. Not original post, which I like.

      Ah...

      Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding 

        Loading editor
    • My personal opinion on this whole thing is that, while Mojang isn't directly copying anything, they have had a lot of inspiration from other mods, if not the LotR Mod, and haven't given due credit (With the exception of the horses from the animal mod).

      Vanilla does have cool stuff, and we wouldn't have the LotR Mod without it, but each consecutive update is not as good as the last.  Sure, they add interesting things, but the vast majority of the updates are just semi-useless stuff, or things to make it more difficult for (a) older computers to run, and (b) people to do coding and adventure maps.  *cough1.13cough*

      One very interesting coincidence, however, was as follows:  Back in either December of 2015, or January of 2016, I made a challenge map to share with my family.  I had made some maps before, but this time I decided to try adding a custom resource pack.  At the end of the level, there was a boss fight involving a dragon. He would breathe fire at you, and you had to watch where you step, or else you would step on "hot coals".  These hot coals were simply a retextured block of oak planks with an also retextured pressure plate on the top.  The pressure plate was connected to a command block that would give you poison, to simulate stepping on hot coals.  (There were various ways I could have improved it, but it worked ok.)

      Here is a screenshot:

      S'moregoth Magma Blocks

      Two to four months later, I look at minecraft wiki for news on the next update. Then something catches my eye. "Magma Blocks"?

      I can't imagine that actually stole it from me, especially considering the fact that it was a singleplayer level that never left my computer, but it still makes you wonder . . .

        Loading editor
    • I mean I believe when they added pistons they took inspiration from a mod; however didn't copy it. So I would agree with smoregoth. 

      As to newer updates, from actually playing them I would say the biggest things about them are actually being able to swim (something I think looks amazing, and feels awesome as well), the concrete (cause it allows untextured blocks for huge builds) and elytras. I dislike the combat a bit in 1.9, but don't abhor it. I personally think that people normally don't like change unless it is change that is for sure positive, which is the reason why I feel people don't like newer updates. I know they aren't super cool, but there are definitely some good things that come from em.

        Loading editor
    • I think it's just sour grapes, Mevans said no update so people pretend all the stuff Mojang makes is rubbish anyway because they can't have it.

        Loading editor
    • Mojang owns the rights to Minecraft. They will add anything they see adds benefit from mods. You don't need to be concerned. This mod is LOTR focused, not minecraft focused.

        Loading editor
    • Mastercat101 wrote:
      Mojang owns the rights to Minecraft. They will add anything they see adds benefit from mods. You don't need to be concerned. This mod is LOTR focused, not minecraft focused.

      I didn't like vanilla and mojang before I even knew this mod existed...

        Loading editor
    • Now they’ve added suspicious stew. Granted the idea is partially unique because it grants an unknown effect, but you can’t help but wonder...

      Potatoplant LazuliShield2 Sir Lazuli, Guardian of the Mountains Come visit! ShovelAndSword Potatoplant

        Loading editor
    • ArcenGamer wrote:

      Mastercat101 wrote:
      Mojang owns the rights to Minecraft. They will add anything they see adds benefit from mods. You don't need to be concerned. This mod is LOTR focused, not minecraft focused.

      I didn't like vanilla and mojang before I even knew this mod existed...

      Yeah, after conquering pretty much everything vanilla got boring...then I discovered this mod.

      Tar-Buunz, Tsar of cats Buy me a ball of yarn!

        Loading editor
    • "Baby pandas will sometimes sneeze, making nearby pandas jump: when they sneeze, they have a chance to drop a slime ball."


      Hmmm . . . .

        Loading editor
    • S'moregoth wrote:
      "Baby pandas will sometimes sneeze, making nearby pandas jump: when they sneeze, they have a chance to drop a slime ball."


      Hmmm . . . .

      Trolls can sneeze... This is all either some crazy coincidence or we better get out the pitchforks and torches...

        Loading editor
    • ArcenGamer wrote:
      S'moregoth wrote:
      "Baby pandas will sometimes sneeze, making nearby pandas jump: when they sneeze, they have a chance to drop a slime ball."


      Hmmm . . . .

      Trolls can sneeze... This is all either some crazy coincidence or we better get out the pitchforks and torches...

      I was hoping to get a nice, organized picture, but, oh well.

      ERU VULT!

      Slimeball Pitchforks

        Loading editor
    • Also, considering some earlier comments, my main frustration with the new updates (and I wouldn't be surprised if others shared it) is that it is getting less and less like the Minecraft it was when it first came out.  Minecraft used to be a small, relatively obscure game.  It had enough stuff to make you want to play it and to allow you to play for hours on end.  It didn't have any big boss fights or super cool enemies, but it had lots of blocks, a virtually infinite number of things you could do with it, and it didn't require any sort of powerful computer.

      Now, over the years, it has become incredibly popular.  I don't grudge it that at all, and I think it rightly deserves recognition, but Minecraft is everywhere you look nowadays.  I think it is probably mainly because of Microsoft, but, in my opinion, Minecraft has been merchandised into oblivion.

      Now, after many updates, there are many, many blocks, and many, many monsters, as well as boss fights and goals, but I think they all move the point further away from simply being a sandbox game.

      Now, after many alterations, Minecraft requires a a computer with decent gaming capabilities.  The old Windows XP laptop we have that used to run Minecraft easily, is now almost obsolete.  I needed to make a resource pack to stop all of the ocean animations before we could cross three ocean chunks in without lagging out (after 1.13).

      Now, instead of having everything close to arms reach, you are required to travel thousands of blocks to find certain blocks and objects - in some cases, you even have to restart your world after updates if you want to find this stuff.

      I don't think anyone should simply hate the new updates, but I think a pretty good argument can be made that the continually increasing number of additions and changes have made Minecraft lose some of the magic it once had.

      (I don't know if everyone has been playing since Beta, but I think the point still stands.)

      /endrant

        Loading editor
    • So because the updates are adding things to make the game have more stuff, you don't like it??The exact same could be said for the LotR mod. Any Haradrim worlds before September 3rd have to be completely abandoned nowadays. Many worlds don't have certain important chunks or new buildings because of updates. Does that mean we need to stop making them?? No, it's just what happens when you update something. That argument could literally be applied to anything.

        Loading editor
    • I never said I didn't like Vanilla, or the new updates.  Here is what I did say:

      • "while Mojang isn't directly copying anything, they have had a lot of inspiration from other mods, if not the LotR Mod, and haven't given due credit"
      • "Vanilla does have cool stuff, and we wouldn't have the LotR Mod without it, but each consecutive update is not as good as the last."
      • "Sure, they add interesting things, but the vast majority of the updates are just semi-useless stuff, or things to make it more difficult for (a) older computers to run, and (b) people to do coding and adventure maps."
      • "I don't think anyone should simply hate the new updates, but I think a pretty good argument can be made that the continually increasing number of additions and changes have made Minecraft lose some of the magic it once had."

      Of course the LotR Mod adds stuff! If my problem was simply with adding new stuff, I would still be playing Classic Minecraft, and probably wouldn't be part of this wiki. I am not saying that adding stuff is bad. I am saying that in my opinion the majority of additions and changes that Mojang/Microsoft has chosen to implement in recent years are not as good as they used to be, and that, in my opinion, they don't stay consistent with the feel I used to get from Minecraft.

      As far as missing chunks go, it makes perfect sense that the LotR Mod changes the map! It is quite reasonable for Mevans to update the map, to improve the mod to the standard he wants. In addition, there is an (as far as I know) effective method to move chunks (created by Mevans himself), and the Mod is still in Beta! It's not supposed to be a final version, and never claims to be.

      If what you say is actually the extent of my argument, then you would be correct. (Ever heard of a "straw man"?) But I am not saying what you say I am saying, so I think my argument still stands.

        Loading editor


    • Here's what you also said:

      "Now, after many updates, there are many, many blocks, and many, many monsters, as well as boss fights and goals, but I think they all move the point further away from simply being a sandbox game."

      "I think a pretty good argument can be made that the continually increasing number of additions and changes have made Minecraft lose some of the magic it once had."

      "Now, instead of having everything close to arms reach, you are required to travel thousands of blocks to find certain blocks and objects - in some cases, you even have to restart your world after updates if you want to find this stuff."

      So yes, you were implying pretty heavily that what you don't like about the new updates is that they are adding more stuff. 

      "Of course the LotR Mod adds stuff!"

      You completely missed the point of my argument. I was saying that the reasons you gave for not liking vanilla updates could be applied to LotR updates. 

      "Now, after many updates, there are many, many blocks, and many, many monsters, as well as boss fights and goals, but I think they all move the point further away from simply being a sandbox game."

      All these things are optional. You don't need to fight the Ender Dragon, you don't need to get advancements. You can choose wether you do that or not! You don't have to fight the "many, many monsters". How is it moving further and further away from being a sandbox game if they are just adding more options to play around with?!!

      Some people like combat, so fight the Ender Dragon! Don't think the Ender Dragon is challenging? Fight the Wither! Want to have some exploration before the battle? Go to the Ocean Monument or Woodland Mansion! Not into fighting? Build some buildings! Still not interested?? Play survival by you're own rules! Still not enough? Their are so many servers that add additional games and action to the game and you can play them. Build you're own redstone contraption! Make a story just from Minecraft. Do whatever you want! This game is literally limitless. It's the perfect Sandbox game, and all these updates add more options to make a better expierience for a sandbox game!

      "As far as missing chunks go, it makes perfect sense that the LotR Mod changes the map! It is quite reasonable for Mevans to update the map, to improve the mod to the standard he wants."

      So it's reasonable for Mevans to add new stuff that requires restarting the world, but when Mojang does it, it's a sin? Wtf? U make literally no sense! I'm not even sure I can take you seriously any more! 


      • "while Mojang isn't directly copying anything, they have had a lot of inspiration from other mods, if not the LotR Mod, and haven't given due credit"

      If you draw inspiration from somebody, you don't need to give due credit. Even if they did, the people who made those mods can't do anything about it. They don't make money, their mods don't benefit them at all. To say Mojang needs to give credit is dumb and untrue.

      • "Vanilla does have cool stuff, and we wouldn't have the LotR Mod without it, but each consecutive update is not as good as the last."

      Wut?? So 1.12 was better than 1.13, 1.10 was better than 1.11, and 1.6 was better than 1.7??? Are you kidding me?!! They aren't getting better and better, I'll give you that, but they sure as hell aren't getting worse! 

      • "Sure, they add interesting things, but the vast majority of the updates are just semi-useless stuff, or things to make it more difficult for (a) older computers to run, and (b) people to do coding and adventure maps."

      I'm really confused at what ur getting at here. Different things are useful for different purposes. It's inevitable that computers are going to have a harder time running newer versions of Minecraft, because as more things get added in, more space gets taken up. Welcome to coding 101. It does make coding and adventure maps harder, I'll give you that. 

      • "I don't think anyone should simply hate the new updates, but I think a pretty good argument can be made that the continually increasing number of additions and changes have made Minecraft lose some of the magic it once had."

      Already debunked this, it's a BS argument.

      "(Ever heard of a "straw man"?)"

      In fact I have. You must be very familiar with their making.

      OK. I think this proves my point enough. I don't care that you dislike some stuff the update is adding, but to say we're in a downward spiral is complete bs.

        Loading editor
    • This time, you have made some good points.  I will take it paragraph by paragraph in an attempt to keep this comparatively simple and straightforward.

      Paragraph #5: From those quotes, I do give the impression of not liking the simple fact that the new updates add more stuff. While that is a part of what I dislike about them (for good or ill), my frustration comes more from what they decided to add. I tried to make that more clear in post #28. Also, you seem to have missed or misread the majority of my second (non-bulleted) paragraph in post #30

      Paragraph #7: I did not miss the point of your argument here. I replied that my problem was not simply with the additions (which is what you said that I said).

      Paragraphs #9 & #10: I do accept that your arguments in these two paragraphs are valid. My only argument in this instance is that, if there is a goal, endpoint, or whatever, it is more likely for people to simply walk away after having "beaten the game". I would be very glad if I am wrong on this point, but many of my experiences with friends say otherwise.

      Paragraph #12: You left two sentences out of your quote: "In addition, there is an (as far as I know) effective method to move chunks (created by Mevans himself), and the Mod is still in Beta! It's not supposed to be a final version, and never claims to be." Also, you are using another straw man argument (which, by now, I am quite sure you are acquainted with). I didn't say that it is a sin for Mojang to make an update that requires restarting the world. I said that it is harder to appreciate the new updates because of it. I also said that Mevans provides a good way to make up for it, while (as far as I know) Mojang does not. (By the way, it's getting harder to take you seriously when you cuss at my arguments, let alone using "literally" incorrectly. If I was literally making no sense, you wouldn't be able to understand my arguments at all.)

      Paragraph #14: I never said that Mojang needs to give credit. I said they don't. I also said "due credit". "Due credit" means credit that something deserves. If inspiration doesn't deserve credit, no credit is due. However, I think that, even if Mojang is, in fact, just gaining inspiration from mods, they should say, for instance, "The concept of a sneezing animal dropping slimeballs was used in the LotR Mod." Even something as simple as that would be a significant improvement.

      Paragraph #16: Another valid point here. A better wording of my opinion would be that, in general, I do not think that more recent updates are of as high a quality as older ones.

      Paragraph #18: Yes, different things are for different purposes. While "semi-useless" may be a bit of an exaggeration, my point is that, on average, more recent items do not have the same level of functionality or usefulness as older items. As for computer power, I know that more stuff equals more used space. (I am not an accomplished coder by any means, but I do know that much.) In my opinion, however, Mojang has made things more difficult than necessary. For instance, The Flattening. I don't know 100% for sure, but I doubt that splitting blocks into their own separate IDs is more resource-efficient than having them share IDs. Also, as I pointed out in post #28, the addition of animated seaweed and sea-grass has made it more difficult for older computers. Yes, it looks cool, but an easy way to turn the animations off would be nice.

      Paragraph #20: You haven't really debunked it, and again with the name-calling.

      Paragraph #22: I am glad you have heard of them. In theory, then, you understand that they aren't strong arguments.

      In conclusion, I never actually said that Vanilla is in a downward spiral, but that more recent updates do not have the same level of creativity as older ones.

      I would be more than happy to continue this discussion with you, but I would ask that you place your arguments in a post on my message wall so that we do not clog up this Fun & Games post.

        Loading editor
    • OK first off, pls just copy/paste what ur replying to then put qoutation marks around it. It makes it so much easier to read then having to scroll up, read everything I said, then scroll down to see ur reply, and it's not that hard.

      OK, now lets dive into this. This time u are making more sense. And again, I don't grudge u for disliking the updates, u can feel however u want about them. I'm just saying that ur reasoning could be better

      "my frustration comes more from what they decided to add."

      Could u elaborate please? Idk what additions ur talking about so I can't say anything on this matter. Also could you please tell me what update this "downward spiral" started in? I'm so confused tbh. 

      "I did not miss the point of your argument here. I replied that my problem was not simply with the additions (which is what you said that I said)."

      I thought you said that because you very heavily implied that additions make it worse. You literally said "Minecraft used to be a small, relatively obscure game" and then additions made it lose it's "magic". Can you please just understand you keep contradicting yourself and it's making me very confused?

      "My only argument in this instance is that, if there is a goal, endpoint, or whatever, it is more likely for people to simply walk away after having "beaten the game". I would be very glad if I am wrong on this point, but many of my experiences with friends say otherwise."

      The beauty of this (and what makes it a true sandbox game) is that they had a choice. they could continue, and go on to create an amazing survival world (Like what I did in my main world, and I love it) or they could stop, and move on, because they have achieved what they wanted to achieve in that world. Also, are you rly just gonna say that because a few of your friends left the world after beating the Ender Dragon, that most people all do it? If you do, you are sorely mistaken, my friend.

      "You left two sentences out of your quote: "In addition, there is an (as far as I know) effective method to move chunks (created by Mevans himself), and the Mod is still in Beta! It's not supposed to be a final version, and never claims to be." Also, you are using another straw man argument (which, by now, I am quite sure you are acquainted with). I didn't say that it is a sin for Mojang to make an update that requires restarting the world. I said that it is harder to appreciate the new updates because of it. I also said that Mevans provides a good way to make up for it, while (as far as I know) Mojang does not. (By the way, it's getting harder to take you seriously when you cuss at my arguments, let alone using "literally" incorrectly. If I was literally making no sense, you wouldn't be able to understand my arguments at all.)"

      OK, you got me there, completely missed that sentence. I'll give you that. I had no clue about this new feature Mevans had. Two things:

      1. U could've done without those final words in this paragraph, that's incrediblly nitpicky and makes you lose credibility

      2. The fact that you can't update the chunks in the world isn't a reason to hate the updates, it's a reason to kind of be dissapointed in Mojang, and has nothing to do with updates. 

      "I never said that Mojang needs to give credit. I said they don't. I also said "due credit". "Due credit" means credit that something deserves. If inspiration doesn't deserve credit, no credit is due. However, I think that, even if Mojang is, in fact, just gaining inspiration from mods, they should say, for instance, "The concept of a sneezing animal dropping slimeballs was used in the LotR Mod." Even something as simple as that would be a significant improvement."

      Can you give me examples of how many things they drew inspiration from? Again, you're being very vague here. Pistons are the only thing I know of, and I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that Mojang did give due credit. Also, there are many, many things that are completely original from Mojang. 

      "Another valid point here. A better wording of my opinion would be that, in general, I do not think that more recent updates are of as high a quality as older ones."

      Again, I need some more details. What was added in, say, 1.5 or 1.4, that was better than 1.13 or 1.14. Do you even know what's coming in 1.14? Because it's a lot! And it certainly improves every aspect of Minecraft, the perfect sandbox game. It improves villages, which makes survival worlds and creative worlds alike better and more interesting. It adds a TON of new blocks and their variants (making builders happy). Adding Pillager raids and patrols (making combat and survival modes better. Crossbows (Combat) and much more to come! It will blow any other update completely out of the water! This argument, even worded differently, is still completely wrong imo. 

      "Yes, different things are for different purposes. While "semi-useless" may be a bit of an exaggeration, my point is that, on average, more recent items do not have the same level of functionality or usefulness as older items. As for computer power, I know that more stuff equals more used space. (I am not an accomplished coder by any means, but I do know that much.) In my opinion, however, Mojang has made things more difficult than necessary. For instance, The Flattening. I don't know 100% for sure, but I doubt that splitting blocks into their own separate IDs is more resource-efficient than having them share IDs. Also, as I pointed out in post #28, the addition of animated seaweed and sea-grass has made it more difficult for older computers. Yes, it looks cool, but an easy way to turn the animations off would be nice."

      Alright, I agree with you here. Mojang has made it amazingly difficult for coders. But, I mean, it's not a good reason to hate all the new updates though. This only affects a small portion of the Minecraft community. As for making it more difficult for computers to run, it really just doesn't. And I would know. I've had my computer for about four years, and it's very slow, but Minecraft runs perfectly on it! If you're having a real issue with the seaweed, then you must have an omega old/bad computer. As with your last sentence, completely agree, definetly need to fix this. 

      "You haven't really debunked it, and again with the name-calling."

      In fact I have. Reread the opening argument by me. I address it. Also, again with the nitpicking.

      "I never actually said that Vanilla is in a downward spiral,"

      HMMMMMMMM

      "Now, over the years, it has become incredibly popular.  I don't grudge it that at all, and I think it rightly deserves recognition, but Minecraft is everywhere you look nowadays.  I think it is probably mainly because of Microsoft, but, in my opinion, Minecraft has been merchandised into oblivion.

      Now, after many updates, there are many, many blocks, and many, many monsters, as well as boss fights and goals, but I think they all move the point further away from simply being a sandbox game.

      Now, after many alterations, Minecraft requires a a computer with decent gaming capabilities.  The old Windows XP laptop we have that used to run Minecraft easily, is now almost obsolete.  I needed to make a resource pack to stop all of the ocean animations before we could cross three ocean chunks in without lagging out (after 1.13).

      Now, instead of having everything close to arms reach, you are required to travel thousands of blocks to find certain blocks and objects - in some cases, you even have to restart your world after updates if you want to find this stuff."

      Yeeeeah you rly just did tho.

      (Also about ur final sentence, no, keep it here, because it's easier and I've seen many debates on the Fun and Games board.)

        Loading editor
    • You two xan shut it now... we each have our own opinions. For instance, I prefered minecraft when it was a survival game, not a fantasy game.

        Loading editor
    • That's true. I acknowledge the fact that in the end, nobody's opinions will change. 

        Loading editor
    • Alright.  Sorry.

        Loading editor
    • Wow, this became quite the heated debate.

      One could see from the surface how it would appear that Minecraft is copying from the lotr mod: tridents, coral, seaweed, fish mobs, termite mounds, barrels, random invasions, crossbows, shields (to some extent), poisoned drinks, suspicious food, food furnaces, alloy furnaces, etc.

      But really once you look below the surface, you can see that they're only really copied by name. Past that, they aren't very similar at all.

      -Tridents work completely differently between the two; one is a ranged weapon for use underwater, and the other is a combat fishing pole.

      -Seaweed/seagrass serves different purposes between MC and lotrmod.

      -Fish mobs are basically the same, but that's just to be expected. There are only so many ways you can make a mob for fish.

      -Termites we don't know about yet, as is the same for palm trees.

      Random invasions, as some people have pointed out, work differently as well. Pillagers only attack villages, while lotrmod invasions attack anywhere.

      -Crossbows are quite similar, though the ones in Minecraft seem to fit a different role than the ones in lotrmod (MC crossbows are for crowd control, lotrmod crossbows are for one-on-one combat).

      -Shields are literally different in all but name.

      -Poisoned drinks in lotrmod are normal drinks that are spiked with poison, while poisoned drinks in MC, also known as suspicious stew, is kind of blatantly dangerous, and it's unknown exactly what effect it will give you, unless you crafted it.

      -The MC smokers, although not confirmed to be so, may end up being nearly the same as the lotrmod ones. We'll never know until Mojang reveals their exact function. Same goes for the blast furnace in MC as compared to the alloy forge in lotrmod, and the barrels in MC as compared to the barrels in lotrmod.

      Besides, I highly doubt that anyone in Mojang actually cares about the lotrmod, or knows that it exists. So unless someone here is from Mojang (eyes shift left and right conspiratorially) I don't think there's any copying going on.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message