|“||That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold. Not till the spring and the new green opens do they fall, and then the boughs are laden with yellow flowers; and the floor of the wood is golden, and golden is the roof, and its pillars are of silver, for the bark of the trees is smooth and grey.||”|
–Legolas in the The Fellowship of the Ring, Lothlórien
Lothlórien, also known as the Golden Wood, Lórien, Dwimordene and Laurelindórenan, is home to the Galadhrim Elves.
This biome features mainly Mellyrn with silver bark and falling golden leaves, with occasionally a Lairelossë or other trees intermixed. Galadhrim Elves live in the treehouses on the huge trees extending above the canopy. Occasionally, grand Elven treehouses will appear, in which a Galadhrim lord can be found.
Lothlórien is also home to two flowers unique to this biome, the Elanor and Niphredil, used for brewing Miruvor. Like the Shire, it is a land free of evil creatures. Edhelmir ore can be found in this biome, similar to its sister realm of Lindon. White butterflies that emit glowing colored trails are found here exclusively.
Upon entering this biome you gain the achievement "The Golden Wood".
Lothlórien Edge Edit
This sub-biome borders the main forest. While the normal sized Mallorn Tree grow here, oaks make up the majority of the greenery in this area and large Mellyrn spawn only rarely, lairelossi not at all. There are also none of the normal Lothlórien structures. It also contains some features of The Vales of Anduin, such as Larch trees and horses spawning. Additionally, the Lothlórien edge includes separate flowers, hills and clearing variants within itself. This part of Lothlórien is intensely patrolled by wardens, to counter the continuous threat of invasions from Gundabad and Dol Guldur forces.
The entire Lothlórien biome is a Forest biome with the following variants:
- Standard - Normal Lothlórien (Edge) forest biome.
- Flowers - The fields and the undergrowth of tree clusters teem with Elanor and Niphredil flowers here.
- Hills - A hilly landscape with a higher average elevation.
- Clearing - Clearings in the surrounding forest without any trees and a typically flat surface. These areas offer the best opportunity to spot Galadhrim smithies.
Three structures of the Galadhrim spawn in the Lothlorien biome, although they do not spawn in the clearings (due to the lack of trees) or in the edge biome.
- Elven Treehouse - Treehouses in the large mellyrn accessed by a ladder. They contain Galadhrim crafting tables, beds, and a chest. Galadhrim Elves live here.
- Grand Elven Treehouse - Larger Elven treehouses home to Galadhrim Lords, from whom you can hire Galadhrim Elves. They are larger and are accessed by staircases. They also contain Galadhrim beds and crafting tables.
- Galadhrim Elven Smithies - Circular structures made out of Galadhrim bricks. They contain several Elven Forges, anvils, Galadhrim crafting tables, regular crafting tables and a 2 small chests filled with loot. A Galadhrim Smith spawns inside.
This biome is home to Galadhrim Elves, and due to their vigilant guard, and the power of the Elven Ring Nenya and its bearer Galadriel, no orcs spawn here. Butterflies spawn here with a trail of colored light coming from them as they fly. This is a trait unique for Lothlorien.
- Galadhrim Elf - "Tree-people" who live in the Golden Wood of Lothlorien. They are Elves and can be male or female.
- Galadhrim Warden - Wardens of the Galadhrim who protect the borders of the land with watchful eyes. Their cloaks allow them to vanish from sight.
- Galadhrim Elf Warrior - Galadhrim who have chosen to protect their land. They wield Galadhrim swords and wear Galadhrim armor.
- Galadhrim Lord - Traders from whom you can hire Galadhrim Elves, warriors, and archers. They spawn in Grand Elven Treehouses.
- Galadhrim Smith - Traders that spawn in Galadhrim Smithies. They can buy minerals and other materials and sell Galadhrim armor and equipment.
- Butterflies - Butterflies spawn here with a trail of colored light coming from them as they fly. The trail can be yellow, blue, white or green. This is a trait unique for Lothlorien.
Fixed Structures Edit
Caras Galadhon Edit
Caras Galadhon is the greatest city in Lothlorien, built on a group of massive Mellyrn. Currently, only the hill the tree grows on generates.
Cerin Amroth Edit
Cerin Amroth is a hill in Lothlorien that was once home to Amroth, a prince of the Elves, who has departed from Middle-Earth. Only the hill is currently in the mod.
All the normal ores generate here, but as with Lindon and Rivendell, Edhelmir ore generates here as well, which is required for Galvorn ingots and Elven Portals, so Lothlorien can be an important biome for good players to gather resources.
In Lothlorien, the grass is a rich shade of golden green, due to the power of Nenya, Galadriel's ring. Mellyrn grow here, with silvery bark and golden leaves. Lairelossë trees can occasionally be found. Larch and Aspen trees are common, especially in the Lothlórien Edge sub-biome. Oak trees also grow occasionally. Some huge Mellyrn are home to Elven and Grand Elven treehouses. The fruit trees apple and pear also take root here.
Lothlorien is a marvel out of elder days, preserved by the power of Nenya, the Elven ring of adamant. In the center of the wood is Caras Galadhon, home to Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel, who wields the Elven Ring (but are not yet present in the mod.)
- Since Public Beta 29 rabbits and swans inhabit this biome.
- This biome has been known to cause trouble for players concerning lag. This is due to the vast quantity of trees that must be rendered in a short period of time. These issues can be easily avoided by lowering your render distance and setting your graphics to fast. Further information can be found here.
The One Wiki to Rule Them All has an article on:
The Tolkien Gateway has an article on: