Horses are animals from vanilla Minecraft which can be found in Middle-earth, and are the most common type of mount used by mounted NPCs in the mod, as well as being a relatively easily-obtained mount for players in the early game.
The mod's horses, in general, work in the same way as the vanilla horses, but they have some different properties: see below for more on this.
Of all regions of Middle-earth, horses can be found most commonly in the Rohan, but they also appear in many other areas all across the world. There is also a smaller breed of horse known as the Shire pony which is endemic to the Shire.
Differences from Vanilla Edit
The mod's horses are a different class of entity from the vanilla ones (meaning you cannot breed a horse from the Overworld with one from Middle-earth). As such, they have some changes and improvements to make them better suited to Middle-earth. Vanilla horses do not have these changes in the mod; they remain as they always were.
- LOTR horses can swim through water with ease.
- LOTR horses cannot equip vanilla horse armour, and vice versa. (See LOTR horse armour, which is craftable, while the vanilla types are not)
- Tamed LOTR horses are bred with ordinary apples (red/green) () instead of golden apples. You can't breed untamed horses.
- Sometimes, LOTR horses can have better stats than are possible for vanilla ones, depending on the biome the horse was found in. Rohan horses have a higher range of possible stats. Note that this does not mean that all Rohan horses are better than all horses found elsewhere.
- LOTR horses can be controlled by certain NPC's, such as Rohirrim.
In all other aspects, such as appearance, control, passive behaviour, the mod's horses are the same as vanilla.
Note that attacking a horse in Rohan, if there are Rohirrim nearby, will - regardless of your Rohan alignment - cause you to lose alignment and be attacked by the nearby Rohirrim.
There are other animals that can be used as mounts as well. Examples of other mounts and the main Biomes where these can be found:
- Ponies of the Shire
- Elk in the Woodland Realm
- Boars in the Iron Hills (and many more biomes north of Far Harad)
- Wargs in many evil biomes (Mordor, Angmar, Misty Mountains, etc.)
- Spiders of Mirkwood and Mordor
- Camels in Near Harad
- Rhinos, giraffes and zebras in Far Harad
Mounted NPCs Edit
Many NPCs in the mod can ride horses - these include Galadhrim Elves, Gondor soldiers, and most notably the Rohirrim. When an NPC is riding a horse, the NPC's targeting range is increased by a factor of 1.5. Its attack range (how far away it can hit you with a sword) is also increased by a factor of 1.5. NPCs riding horses are also significantly faster than their unmounted equivalents; in fact, they're usually fast enough that you can't outsprint them. NPCs that use ranged attacks will maneuver away from a foe who comes too close and continue shooting from further away.
If the NPC dies, its horse cannot be used by the player, and will eventually despawn.
The chance of finding a horse-riding NPC varies - it is relatively uncommon to spot an Elf warrior on a horse, but almost all of the Rohirrim ride horses. You can also hire many of the cavalry units from the appropriate NPC (Rohirrim marshal, Gondorian captain, Galadhrim lord etc.). Cavalry units are typically more expensive and require a higher alignment to command than foot soldiers.
|“|| ᛖ The horse is a joy to princes in the presence of warriors.|
A steed in the pride of its hoofs,
when rich men on horseback bandy words about it;
and it is ever a source of comfort to the restless.
- Public Beta 1: Added horses.
- Public Beta 7: Mod horses gain the same stats as vanilla horses.
- Public Beta 8: NPC's can ride horses. They can also mount their horses of their fallen comrades.
- Public Beta 8.3: NPC's can no longer mount horses of fallen comrades.
- Public Beta 12: NPC's are no longer kicked off a horse when they ride into water.
- Public Beta 15: Horses spawned in Rohan now have better stats than other Middle-earth horses.
- Public Beta ?: Horses no longer kick the player off when they are ridden into water.
- Public Beta 20: Horses can no longer wear vanilla horse armour. Naturally spawned horses that are ridden by NPC's will spawn wearing that faction's armour.
The One Wiki to Rule Them All has an article on:
Blackroot Vale •
Animals of Middle-Earth