|“||On a time they took a boat and went down to the Gladden Fields, where there were great beds of iris and flowering reeds.||”|
–Gandalf in The Fellowship of The Ring, The Shadow of The Past
The Gladden Fields were a marshland in the vale of the Gladden River, and on the banks of the river Anduin. It was there that the One Ring was lost by Isildur, and later found by Déagol, from whom it was stolen by Sméagol, who became Gollum.
Gundabad Orcs and Wargs spawn in this biome. The Yellow Iris flower, from which is derived the Gladden Fields' name, in both English and Sindarin, grows here exclusively. Hobbits lived here hundreds of years ago.
Upon entering this biome, the player earns the achievement "Watery Grave". This name might also be derived from the fact that quagmire spawns in this biome, which is a type of quicksand that will suck mobs (including the player) down and suffocate them.
Ruined houses occasionally spawn in this biome.
- Swamp Upland - A version of the the biome with fewer pools, higher land generation, and many more trees.
- Swamp Lowland - A variant of the the biome that is more or less flat, and is more like a vast pool choked with bits of land and quagmire.
Alongside the weeds, scattered brick piles, and rotted houses, one structure generates here.
- Gundabad Orc Camp - Camps for Gundabad Orcs that spawn randomly in the north of Middle-Earth. As with most camps, they contain tents, forge tents, crafting tables, skulls, orc torches, chests, small farms, and Gundabad Orc Chieftains.
- Gundabad Orc- Orcs from Mount Gundabad in the Misty Mountains. They are allied only to themselves.
- Gundabad Orc Archer- Gundabad Orcs with bows and arrows.
- Gundabad Wargs (can be ridden)- Wargs (giant wolves) allied with the Gundabad Orcs.
- Gundabad Orc Chieftain - NPCs from which the forces of Gundabad can be hired - for a price. They spawn only in the camps.
The Gladden Fields have many trees and small plants among the boggy pools. Although the trees of this forsaken swamp are generally deciduous broadleaf trees including oak, birch, willow, and swamp oak (oaks with vines hanging from them usually found in swamps), conifers spruce, pine, and fir do grow. Although the flowers and grass here are of average growth, the yellow iris flower is an exclusive to this biome.
The One Wiki to Rule Them All has an article on:
The Tolkien Gateway has an article on: